INSTANT WATER DECHLORINATOR - MAKES TAP WATER SAFE FOR FISH
- Detoxifies Heavy Metals from Tap Water
- Dismantles Chloramine in Tap Water
- Detoxifiess All Chlorine from Tap Water
- Provides Protective Slime Coatings for Fishes
- Is Compatible With All of Kordon's Water Conditioners and Fish Treatments
- Made in U.S.A.
NovAqua Plus is the new generation of NovAquas, it is the latest stage of technological development in water conditioners for aquariums and ponds. NovAqua Plus is the most effective of the tap water conditioners for benefiting aquatic life. But it goes far beyond that. NovAqua Plus provides, in a single product, everything necessary to handle all of the needs when treating tap water for aquatic life. NovAqua Plus is recommended to be used with AmQuel Plus, with which it is fully compatible.
The NovAqua products for conditioning aquarium and pond water were first introduced decades ago and have been used world wide ever since, becoming a leader in water conditioners for fish and other aquatic life, both fresh and salt water. The NovAqua products have been continually expanded and improved in performance as advances in the technology have been made and as public water conditions have changed over time. NovAqua Plus is the latest in technology and is appreciably more advanced than the original NovAqua product, being completely reformulated.What Are The Differences Between NovAqua and NovAqua Plus?
- NovAqua Plus is based on the latest technology for water conditioners, which have been under the NovAqua label with successive product improvements for over 30 years..
- NovAqua Plus is formulated differently from its predecessors from the bottom up, having many new improvements, such as:
- New polymer colloids for fish protection
- Increased ability to remove chlorine
- New electrolytes for stress reduction
- New remover of heavy metals, including increased ability to remove toxic zinc, iron, aluminum, copper, arsenic, etc.
- New herbal ingredients for immune health aids and viral and protozoan infection inhibition
- New vitamin ingredients for health aids
- New product stabilizers for long-lasting storage, etc
Compatabilities & Contraindications
COMPATIBILITIES Kordon's NovAqua Plus is compatible with all Kordon organic herbal products, all Kordon water conditioners, including Kordon's AmQuel and AmQuel Plus, all Kordon medications (except for copper), as well as with the majority of non-oxidizing medications used in the control of fish diseases. NovAqua Plus will precipitate ionic (non-chelated) copper but will react only slowly with chelated copper. This product is safe for use in new or established aquaria and ponds and will not interfere in normal biological filtration or with any of the nitrifying or sludge removing bacteria. When tap water sources contain chloramines, residual ammonia will remain after treating with NovAqua Plus. Use Kordon AmQuel Plus or AmQuel to remove the toxic ammonia
CONTRAINDICATIONS NovAqua Plus is not a registered medication or chemotherapeutic agent and is not indicated for any specific disease.
CAUTIONS No cautions are required in the use of this product. NovAqua Plus does not reach toxic levels with regular use or upon accidental or purposeful overdose. It is safe for reef and "live rock" aquariums. NovAqua Plus is non-toxic to humans, pets and aquatic life.
Directions for Use
Standard doses for regular (aquarium) NovAqua Plus: Use 10 drops per gallon, or 1 teaspoon (approximately 5 ml) per 10 gallons of water, or 1 tablespoon (approx. 15 ml) per 30 gallons of water, or 1 fl oz for 60 gallons. When used at the recommended standard dose, 4 ounces of regular NovAqua Plus will treat 240 gallons of water, 1 gallon of regular NovAqua Plus will treat 7,680 gallons of water, 5 gallons of regular NovAqua Plus will treat 38,400 gallons of water.
It is recommended that NovAqua Plus be used, rather than the original Kordon NovAqua, because NovAqua Plus carries out much more in beneficial functions that improve aquarium and pond keeping. The use of NovAqua Plus is suggested for the following conditions at the Standard dose (see also NOVAQUA STANDARD DOSAGES above).
New aquariums and ponds and water refills: Use at recommended standard dose. Add to the water when setting up a new tank or pond, preferably before the fish are added. Add to new water each time a water change is made. The amount of NovAqua Plus to be used is determined by how much new water is added, not by the total amount of water in the aquarium or pond.
NovAqua Plus will act quickly, normally within seconds, and at most in a few minutes in conditioning the water. If water is suspected of containing chloramines (a chemical combination of chlorine and ammonia added by water utilities to the tap water) or natural ammonia (such as from animal excretions), the following procedure should be used to protect your fish and invertebrates:
(1) Add NovAqua Plus to protect the fish from stress, provide a protective slime coat, prevent shock; and remove the chlorine.
(2) Add Kordon's AmQuel Plus to remove all ammonia, including the ammonia in the chloramines, as well as to detoxify the nitrites, nitrates, toxic pheromones, and other toxic nitrogen compounds.
(3) Add Kordon's Prevent Ich® to new aquariums or when adding new fish to act as a preventative for protozoan, dinoflagellate, and fungus infections.
Fish and invertebrate shipping/receiving. NovAqua Plus can be added at the standard dose to the shipping water before fish or invertebrates are shipped and after receiving them. The use of NovAqua Plus will reduce stress, osmotic shock and in some cases chemical poisoning. The use of NovAqua Plus also reduces the probability of infection and increases the chances of recovery. It is recommended that Kordon's AmQuel Plus also be added to shipping water to reduce toxic effects of free ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pheromones during shipping. Kordon's Prevent Ich or Ich Attack® should be added to control external single-celled infections.
Fish transport from shops. The use of NovAqua Plus at the standard dose will reduce stress and osmotic shock. Use NovAqua Plus at the recommended dosage (2 drops will treat 1 gallon). Add to the water in plastic bags containing the fish, before transporting from shop to home aquaria or ponds.
Transportation of aquarium and pond plants. Mix a solution of NovAqua Plus at one-fourth standard dose. Dip each plant into the solution. Wrap for shipment. NovAqua Plus acts as a humectant, holding moisture in the plants over extended periods of shipment. For a greater protective coating on the plants, such as in long-distance shipping, use Kordon's Fish Protector tm or PolyAqua®.
Field collecting. Fewer losses will be incurred due to stress, osmotic shock and chemical poisoning, if newly captured fish and invertebrates specimens are transferred immediately to water pre-treated at the normal dose with NovAqua Plus and Kordon's AmQuel Plus. If the fish or invertebrates are substantially abraded or wounded, the use of Kordon's Fish Protector (formerly PolyAqua) is recommended. If the fish are suspected of being infected, the use of Kordon's herbal Prevent Ich tm, Ich Attack®, or Fungus Rid tm is recommended. All three are of equal value as an effective organic treatment.
Purposes & Benefits
These organic polymers effectively shield wounds on fish, prevent the loss of internal fluids and electrolytes, and protect fish from external toxins and pathogens.
The skin of fishes and many aquatic invertebrates is naturally fragile. It is covered by a protective slime coating that helps keep harmful bacteria and viruses away and aids the animals in their swimming ability by reducing surface friction. Any lessening of the slime coating, such as by abrasion and wounds can allow harmful pathogens to enter the skin. Fishes and invertebrates can sense when their slime coating is lessened or missing, and this can be very stressful to them. Fish being introduced to aquariums or ponds, or being transported, are particularly prone to losing natural slime and needing slime replacement.
NovAqua Plus neutralizes chlorine and the full toxic effect of chloramines
* Chlorine is used in just about all municipal water supplies, for which the US EPA (Environmental Protection Agency recommends up to 4 ppm chlorine.
* Chloramines in municipal water supplies are a very serious problem for aquarists and pond keepers. Chloramines are a combination of chlorine and ammonia that together make a chemical compound that is much more stable and highly toxic to viruses and bacteria than either is alone. Chloramines are also very toxic to fishes and aquatic invertebrates.
* Over 50% of all municipalities in the U.S. now have chloramines added to the water supply, and the number rises every month. The American Water Works Association now strongly recommends that municipal water suppliers add chloramines to their water supply, because of increasing amounts of pathogens in water sources due to water pollution. Chloramines are lethal to all water-breathng aquatic animals. It is becoming essential that aquarists and pond keepers use a chloramine remover in all water that they take from the tap for their fishes and aquatic invertebrates.
* NovAqua Plus breaks the chloramines apart, exposing the chlorine. In whatever form, NovAqua Plus neutralizes up to 6.0 ppm of chlorine (free and combined as chloramines), over twice the amount that regular NovAqua removes. What NovAqua Plus does not do is take out the ammonia that comes in the chloramines. This should be done by using Kordon's AmQuel Plus (or original AmQuel) with NovAqua Plus.
* EPA Guidelines set a maximum allowed level of chlorine of 4 ppm in public water supplies. Most water suppliers target 2-3 ppm chlorine. Note that 4 ppm of chlorine is actually about 5.8 ppm chloramine. (The chlorine is 69% of the chloramine molecule, ammonia is the other 31%). So, with a possible 5.8 ppm chloramine, there is 4 ppm chlorine, and 1.8 ppm ammonia. At the extreme 4 ppm level of chlorine in chloramine, a 1.5 standard dose of NovAqua Plus is recommended. Check with your local public water utility for the level of chlorine that they are adding to tap water.
NovAqua Plus buffers tap water When tap water is used, it comes out of the tap greatly reduced in oxygen. When tap water that is low or devoid of oxygen comes in contact with the air, its pH fluctuates rapidly while it is picking up oxygen and carbon dioxide. If tap water is added directly to the aquarium in which fishes and aquatic invertebrates are living, the fluctuations in pH can be very stressful, and may be lethal. NovAqua Plus contains a high capacity buffering system that stops pH fluctuations in the water, stabilizes acidity/alkalinity to avoid pH shock, and allows fish to adapt safely to new environments. When the pH is balanced by NovAqua Plus, the water will be at its natural pH level, whatever that is. when the pH needs to be balanced, such as a pH of 7.0 for fresh water (neutral pH), or 8.2-8.3 for salt water, the use of Kordon pH Protector products are recommended.
NovAqua Plus detoxifies heavy metals that can be toxic to many aquatic organisms.NovAqua Plus detoxifies heavy metals that can be toxic to many aquatic organisms. Toxic metal ions in water can come from various sources, including public water utilities, home and commercial plumbing, medications, decorations and metal objects placed in the aquarium or pond, well water, etc. It is essential to detoxify heavy metals in the water supply for the fish to survive. The detoxifying capability of NovAqua Plus precipitates the metal ions into harmless compounds, rather than chelating them. NovAqua Plus forms a unique insoluble, polymeric salt with heavy metals that is stable under conditions of both high and low pH. This is a notable advantage over other products that rely strictly upon the chelation process. Such chelates are unstable, pH dependent, and can exchange their "bound" metal ion for another, releasing toxic ions into the water.
While tap water is acceptable to us and to pet animals (such as mammals -- dogs cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, etc. -- and birds) as well as to farm animals, tap water varying in extent from source to source is toxic to fishes and other aquatic life. This is particularly true for the heavy metals that it contains from the metal and plastic pipes that it goes through before it reaches you. One of the important functions of NovAqua Plus is to eliminate -- or at least greatly reduce -- heavy metals in the water.
One of the most toxic of heavy metals to fishes is copper, a common ingredient in tap water. NovAqua Plus is capable per dose of precipitating up to 1.17 ppm free copper ions (Cu++) from solution. When copper is present in the tap water or when copper medications are used, the copper ions can combine with glass, plastic, rock, gravel, and other objects and remain indefinitely in this state. Variations in pH (acidity/alkalinity) may cause the copper to come back into solution and be toxic to fishes and invertebrates. NovAqua Plus permanently detoxifies copper and can be used to eliminate copper ion medications after their use as a treatment is completed.
NovAqua Plus increases available electrolytes. Certain kinds and levels of electrolytes are necessary in the water for fishes and aquatic invertebrates to breathe through their gills. NovAqua Plus contains these elements (cations and anions) in the amounts that fishes and aquatic invertebrates require.
* Marine fishes and invertebrates obtain their required ions by "drinking seawater". However, freshwater fishes and invertebrates do not have this capability. Freshwater fishes selectively remove required ions from water via the gills. The need for certain ions is increased during times of stress. NovAqua Plus provides the electrolytes needed during periods of damage and shock in freshwater fishes. Also, NovAqua Plus allows the use of bottled drinking water for aquarium use, that otherwise would be too deficient in ionic mineral content for the fishes and aquatic invertebrates to survive satisfactorily. NovAqua Plus should be used when using RO (Reverse Osmosis) water, because efficient RO systems take out too much of the mineral/electrolyte content of the water for fish and invertebrates to remain healthy.
* NovAqua Plus should be used when using well water or other natural water source, because they can vary greatly in quality, which is brought into proper balance for fishes and invertebrates by NovAqua Plus.
NovAqua Plus provides beneficial organic herbals and vitamins. A unique new function of NovAqua Plus is in its use of herbals and vitamins. More and more is becoming known in scientific aquaculture about the value of specific soluble herbals and vitamins for improving the health and immunity of fishes and invertebrates. Kordon is now applying this knowledge in aquarium and pond keeping.
NovAqua Plus contains herbals and vitamins that are soluble in water and absorbed by fishes and invertebrates; these have been recently accepted to be effective for their health and immunity. For examples, the vitamins used in NovAqua Plus are capable of boosting disease-resisting immune functions, healing open wounds and sores, slowing the spread of infection, and promoting cellular regeneration such as in the formation of blood cells, etc. Echinaceas are in NovAqua Plus for improving phagocytosis and as immune stimulators to help the fishes and invertebrates rid themselves of microbial infections both viral and bacteria, as well as tumors.
NovAqua Plus enhances biofiltration in new aquariums and ponds. It does this by coating the filter media with a slime coat that aids nitrifying bacteria in forming colonies, and in being more effective in carrying out biological filtration.
NovAqua Plus reduces toxicity of nitrite. NovAqua Plus's special electrolytes help reduce the toxic effects of nitrite in the water by blocking the uptake of nitrite by the animal. For extensive removal of toxic nitrites in the water, use Kordon's AmQuel Plus.
NovAqua Plus removes iodine. When using iodine as a treatment, its effect can be reduced or eliminated by using NovAqua Plus.
NovAqua Plus works with all filters, aerators, and protein skimmers . There is no interference between NovAqua Plus and all types of filters, protein skimmers, and aerators.
Specifications & Stability
NovAqua Plus is a unique liquid combination of electrolytes, inorganic salts, buffering system, reducing agents (dechlorinators), synthetic polymers, vitamins, product stabilizers, Edetates for heavy metals removal, and organic herbal extracts containing polysaccharides, alkylamides, and phenolics -- all of which variously produce highly desirable results in freshwater and marine systems for keeping fishes, invertebrates and plants alive and healthy. None of the NovAqua products, now or in the past, contain any phosphates.
STABILITY Properly stored, NovAqua Plus is stable for up to 5 years in its original solution. NovAqua Plus must not be frozen. If the product is suspected of being frozen, inspect the contents for evidence of crystals. If crystals have formed, the product should be discarded.. Normally NovAqua Plus should have a clear to slightly cloudy appearance. Do not use if it has a milky appearance. NovAqua Plus does not become toxic with age or freezing, but its effectiveness is reduced.